Iosco County Historical Society
405 West Bay Street, (US-23)
East Tawas, Michigan 48730
The Hawks-McKay House
When the Iosco County Historical
Society was founded on December 10, 1967, with officers, trustees
and representatives from every city and township in the county,
its major goal was to establish a county historical museum.
This goal has now become a reality.
The late Joseph Barkman donated $10,000 and many antique pieces
from his private collection to help start the museum. His brother
Harris was the moving force in getting the museum opened and acted
as the director for many years.
The museum is located in a house
built in 1903 by James D. Hawks, first President of the Detroit
and Mackinaw Railroad. It was built for his daughter and son-in-law,
Harry Waterman, who was assistant superintendent for the railroad.
They occupied the house until 1912.
For the next 60 years, until 1972,
it was the home of Lloyd G. McKay and family.
In 1977, the county purchased this
house from the late Ladd McKay and donated it to the historical
society to be used as a museum. With the help of the Tawas Area
Kiwanis, a grant was obtained to purchase the property.
The museum is now a self-supporting
entity. It does not receive monetary help from endowments or invested
funds, but exists solely on memberships and donations. We are
grateful four our members and all who help us maintain and staff